Known as pyrus communis, It is one of pomaceus fruit of the trees and also the rose family of plants (rosaceae). Originated from Europe and Asia, native to coastal and mildly temperate regions. Pears are very closely related to the apples. They are usually harvested when they are almost ripe. Pear has to come off when lifted vertically, with the last races be kept for months at dark place. By 2013, pear world’s total production is at 25.2 million metric tonnes with China producing 68.6% of world’s total production.
- Pear shaped, but similar to apple.
- Small in size.
- Ovalish shape.
- Smooth skin.
- Striking yellowish-green freckled skin.
- Sweet juicy yellowish tanned colour.
- Narrow towards the stalk.
- Eaten fresh, canned as juice or dried.
- Juice for jellies and jams.
- Small Cooking pears.
- Dinner side dish.